Friday, August 27, 2010

Mommy Dearest


After my father passed away two years ago, I took in my mother. I completed my basement and made it a full mother-in-law (in my case, mother) suite complete with full kitchen and bath, dining area, living room, washer and dryer, huge bedroom and a spare bedroom for her overnight guests. I did everything except the drywall myself and even passed the rough in inspections.

She seems to be content with us but I know it must be hard for her without her husband of 55 years of marriage. I miss my father, especially the little things like hearing the same old jokes over and over again and watching him laugh as if he had told them for the very first time, his sweet tooth and how he was always sucking on a piece of hard candy or eating ice cream with a slice of my mom's homemade apple pie. Things like that.

She is a breast cancer survivor and went through chemo and radiation treatments while living with us. Those were tough times for her as well but having family around helped her through it all and now she is well.

Thanks be to God.